Yesterday at the dog park, I was playing fetch.
I got distracted and left my ball out in the middle of the field. When I got back, my person told me that I should have brought it back, and said, “How many jobs do you have, really? Just the one…bring the ball back.” Naturally, this got me thinking.
Is bringing the ball back truly my one and only job as a dog? Surely, this cannot be true.
I thought long and hard on the subject, and here’s what I came up with.
The many jobs of a dog:
- To love you unconditionally
- To bring you joy
- To make you laugh
- To remind you to live for today
- To be cute
- To show you that you’re the most important person in the world
- To cheer you up on the worst day
- To share your happiness on the best day
- To make sure you get your exercise every day
- And finally, yes, to bring back the ball…although sometimes I am busy sniffing something, and you could get it yourself. After all I do for you…I’m just saying.
And you know what? If you don’t do your one job of getting the ball for me when I could really use an extra mouth (or hand, whatever) – I will forgive you. I won’t hold a grudge even for a second. That was then, this is now. And you know what would be really good right now? Throw the ball!!!!!